What is Project 5ive
Project 5ive is an online and digital Peer-to-Peer inspiration and resource network for Cancer Survivors thriving or coping with life after survival. While many organizations and public health facilities provide peer support groups and resources for both cancer patients and survivors, Project 5ive is specifically tailored to support individuals who are struggling both physically and psychologically readjusting to everyday life.
Shouldn’t Survivors be Happy?
For many survivors their health situation may only be a portion of their concern, while other social and personal issues arise. Because the main goal for cancer patients is survival, many are greatly under prepared for a return to every day life. Some of these issues may involve:
- Change in relationships – This may be involved cutting off relationship that aren’t working as a result of a newly formed focus for. You may change careers after this life-altering event.
- Loss of Support – Because you are now “fine”, the support network you’ve become accustomed to will begin to distance itself. In ways you need to learn how to stand on your own two feet once again.
- Loss of Health Coverage – Premiums can skyrocket, and insurance companies aren’t always willing to take the risk covering someone so soon after diagnosis.
- Bills and Debts – Depending on your coverage and employer, you may now have extensive bills waiting for you. This could be a result of financial sacrifices, having to incur a reduced or even a loss of salary for you, and perhaps even your partner, during treatment.
- Job Loss or Change – Returning to the workforce is a big step for many survivors and in some cases too big. For many their job may now be gone, they have been shifted to a lower position, or no longer have one at all.
- Fertility Issues – This can be extremely concerning for children and young adults as the side effects of radiation, chemotherapy, or surgery may have left them infertile.
Why we are Stronger as a Unit
We believe in celebrating survivorship. Isn’t that what we are all fighting for? For some this is easier than others. We also know in life, as in survival, the people you surround yourself with are your biggest resource for success. We call these people your Unit, and the stronger your Unit is, the stronger you will be. Good people bring out the good in other people which is why we’ve hand selected Survivors who have overcome their fight against cancer, embraced all the adversity along the way, and discovered true happiness after Cancer. We call these survivors our #P5Unit. Our hope is that you find a survivor here that you identify with and empowers you to grow and become stronger. Is your unit full of doers, believers, energizers, fighters, motivators or magic makers? If not… CHANGE IT! Fill your Unit with those that make you the best version of yourself. Some of those people might be right here.
The Power of Peer-to-Peer Support
As fellow survivors we have been through the fight first hand. We know all too well that fear or relapsing, the abandonment of support because you’re now fine, or even the fact that your position at work had to be filled while you were in treatment. The capacity to talk to others who have gone through these same situations makes all the difference. Finding you way back to everyday life can be difficult and to be able to talk and learn from other survivor’s successes and mistakes is vital. We challenge you to add any of the amazing #P5Unit members and follow them as mentors and leaders for the changes you want to see in yourself.